Friday, January 5, 2007

Yet Another Piece of That Story I'm Gonna Write

A few days after the first “incident,” He and I were sitting out in the back field, staring at the clouds floating across the topaz sky. We only had a few minutes before reality would call us back again, so He and I lay on the brown, dead, prickly grass trying to gather as much of the cold winter air as possible. I brushed my hair out of my eyes, the wind having pulled it across my face. A few seconds later it did so again and He reached over and tugged the offending strands behind my ear. I smiled lightly to show my appreciation. We continued to watch the puffy specters of the sky above us, but my mind was on how dead and listless the ground below me was. Just a few months ago it was full of life, bursting with overwhelming energy. Everywhere you looked something was growing, whether it was the simple act of grass sprouting from the dry earth or a tiny spider emerging from an even more miniscule egg. I missed that so much. I reached for His hand, which far dwarfed my tiny one. Somehow I think He understood what I was thinking and we both continued watching the clouds. With my other hand I could feel the brittle grass under me, but I longed for it to be soft and supple, for its life to somehow be lent to me. I lifted my hand to brush my face, even though the wind had ceased. When my hand returned to the ground I felt what I was imagining. I turned my head to look in His direction and he did the same, facing me. He squeezed my hand, and my eyes jumped from his blue ones, watching me, to the greenness all around us. I sat up slowly, looking around. The entire field was like a little piece of summer. I could almost feel the things sprouting underground, ready to take root above the surface. I closed my eyes, inhaling the sweet smell of dandelions, and released my hand from His grasp, in an attempt to run all of my fingers through the damp ground. But the summer was simply a momentary lapse in reality. As soon as my hand touched the earth, it was hard and frozen once more. The first harsh breath I took bit at my lungs, making me want to get up and run away from this place. I opened my eyes to look at Him. I saw a solitary sigh escape His lips, and I stood to return to where we had come from. The clouds no longer seemed so wondrous.

[Comments welcome!! Which piece do you like the best so far? Please tell, cause I'm thinking of only using one idea]

3 comments:

Joi Grey said...

This one makes more sense so it gets my vote.

StephJP said...

I really liked the one where she can imagine something and make it reality. That was a really good idea, I thought. Keep writing, I love reading it!

Joi Grey said...

Teehehe "reading" ok I'll stop....my goodness that was immature.